Thursday 20 November 2014

Meeting the 62 people employed full time in Scotland's Film Production Sector

Untitled

It's a pretty crazy fact but indeed there are only 62 people in Scotland who have a full time job within Film Production (Source 1). I have been working within TV for the last few years, not out of a burning love for TV and the online world it also absorbs but from a love of production and creation. I have aspirations of becoming a film maker and have found it strange that coming to Glasgow hasn't developed that opportunity compared to being in Northern Ireland. I have actually only been funded by NI Screen since moving to Scotland a few years ago ( for the award winning 15 second film Vinyl Touch) .

After reading of this 62 within Creative Scotland's Review of the film sector I found it rather staggering but also fascinating that not only could you meet and greet all of these people in a few hours. It also means that with Scotland's estimated population at 5,327,700 that only 0.001% of Scotland's population works full time in Film Production (Source 2).

That got me thinking of the various people that I know who currently work on films, they all work freelance though. I couldn't actually think of anyone that I know who would consider themselves one of the 62. So this is an open invite to introduce yourself people of the 62, I wish to say hello and find out exactly what do you do? and a bit more about you rather than just the facts and figures I see. Perhaps there is a story in there worth telling.

1 comment:

  1. […] my blog regarding the fact only 62 people work full time in the Scottish film industry I have had a few interesting chats and tweets off people. A very interesting chat was had today […]

    ReplyDelete