Friday 9 December 2011

Grabbers (2012), Shadow Dancer (2012) and Irish Film- A pre View

Now I am not a big fan of horror, it is one of those genre's I find cheap, tacky and inappropriate. In recent years films like Saw, Paranormal activity and HC (Not even gona write it) have flown past me without as much as a glance to see any. I have no interest in seeing that sort of gore, perhaps from my moral standpoint but also because watching people getting killed aint really that great.

This whole viewpoint may be turned upside down however,  staying away from stereotypes, cliches and that cheap tacky look comes an Irish Horror, Grabbers.

"When an island off the coast of Ireland is invaded by bloodsucking aliens, the heroes discover that getting drunk is the only way to survive." Grabbers (2012)

Oh wait nope, I was wrong. Here is hoping there are a few dopey Garda, loads of sheep, a few leprechauns and a member of the IRA. It wouldn't be so bad if this was another Shrooms (2007), you remember it? No? Good.

The issue I have is that this is representing Irish film along with Shadow Dancer (2012) at the 2012 Sundance Film Festival . Shadow Dancer is set in Belfast so I dont have to confirm that indeed it revolves around the IRA.




When is Ireland and Northern Ireland films going to get away from its tacky stereotypes and make a real leap into the future. There are enough films about the troubles or about rural Ireland with dopey Garda and weird locals. Its about time we stood up and took ourselves seriously because its sure nobody else will if we keep churning out the same stuff.
I know there are a lot of people making some great short films in Northern Ireland but they aren't getting the same sort of funding as these stereotype films. Maybe I am wrong in thinking we need this? Its just my thoughts as I am sick and tired of seeing pretty big budgets going into rural or trouble films.

Anyway I havent even see as much as a trailer for either of the films and I am sure they are rather entertaining, but I shant be rushing to watch either but will be interested to see the reviews from Sundance.

6 comments:

  1. Name me one Irish film that's half as clever in concept or is a genre movie with monsters? There's never been one. I worked on Grabbers and in you're in for a treat, believe me. This isn't a tacky, pisstake, it's very clever movie. But you've already made up your mind, so what's the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey TC, thanks for commenting.
    I am taking by "is a genre movie with monsters" you mean horror genre? Not really sure regarding monsters plural in an Irish horror film but certainly "Rawhead Rex" (1986) covers the Irish monster set in rural Ireland.
    Would be interesting to find out a bit more about the "concept" of the film, I am going on limited IMDB information, so somebody like yourself who worked on it may be able to shed a bit more light?
    I just struggle to see how an Irish film where "getting drunk is the only way to survive" can be seen as not a pisstake or cliched? More than happy to hear your opinion and thoughts.
    Guy

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's not a horror movie. It's more like an Amblin movie. There's no dopey Gardai or leprechauns or paddywhackery. To be honest it's just a very clever concept made with a lot of love and affection and you'll get to make your own mind up eventually but it's pretty disappointing that you can't take any pride in a film which is a cut about the rest and is a film full of joy. Made in Ireland.

    Also if you see the film and still think its stereotypical I'll be surprised but everyone is different. I was just a crew member on it but never had as much fun on any job I've done. I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Guy,
    Can't really comment on Grabbers because I haven't seen it but it sounds a little like Shaun of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead takes a disreputable national English past-time (going to the pub) and turns it into a way to fight Zombies.

    But your more general point I'm inclined to agree with. Ireland, north and south, suffers a bit of a crisis of representation on film. How does it deal with it's divided past on screen and how does it challenge the stereotypes associated with island. These are profound political questions and frankly I don't see many filmmakers working in Ireland today that have the political nous to deal with them.

    There are a few films I'd recommend: As the Beast Sleeps looks at the challenges faced by a unit of loyalist paramilitaries in the period of the ceasefire. They are confronted with a lose of income, lose of prestige and a political process they don't understand and seems to be leaving them behind. The film is interesting because it's a serious attempt to deal with the specifics of Northern Irish politics but at the same time it has a Loachian/social realist aesthetic that invites comparison with other representations of class - like the work of Ken Loach.

    The two Bloody Sunday films are interesting also - Greengrass and McGovern's. Serious films trying to explore important issues of history and politics.

    If I can just inject a note of controversy: I think one of the biggest problems that Irish film making faces is that there are too many film studies graduates making films (or certainly, that's how it seems). People who know too much about film and not enough about the world and country they live in. They're technically very competent. They just have nothing interesting to say. We could do with a little balance here between filmmaking skill and cultural, historical and political awareness. Otherwise Ireland will be locked into the perpetually postmodern. And postmodernism is soooo last year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey TC,
    Really not sure how you can consider it a clever concept but I am in no doubt it was made with a lot of love and affection. As I said before I look forward to hearing critics reviews to it at Sundance.
    I will blog again and apologise if I am wrong.


    Dear Rab,
    Have to agree with you there on your bit of controversy. Been rather interested in the plight of the N.I Prod in film. I fail to see how it could be represented without becoming a pro-british film with negative connotations or a Resurrection Man style snap shot with no historical backing as you stated is an issue. Do they even need represented? Is is better not to forget and start making non-trouble films? and is December Bride not enough?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know. I think asking Northern Ireland to forget about the 'troubles' and the combatant groups that defined them, is like asking the USA to forget about making gangster films. Maybe the question is how do we remember better. Another interesting film is Peacefire. Not because it's a 'great' film but it's about a young tear-away who finds himself in trouble with the local paramilitary hard-men. It's interesting because it strives to say something specific about contemporary Northern Ireland but at the same time a story of youthful energy coming up against established power is not unique to here.

    December Bride is brilliant but the only audience watching it who are probably conscious of its depiction of Northern Prods are ... er Northern Prods (and maybe everyone else in Ireland) but image watching the film as a Spanish viewer or Indian or Canadian. Then it's a film about a very determined young woman's struggle against patriarchy.

    What I'm looking forward to is a film of TV series about Northern Ireland that has the political/historical and economic forensic-ness of The Wire.

    ReplyDelete