Tuesday 2 August 2011

Bryan Schutmaat - Western Frieze #photography

Bryan Schutmaat was born in 1983 yet only began shooting in 2003. His series Western Frieze  brings a strong sense of nostalgia from typical 'roadside culture'. I however prefer within the series the landscape photography. The beautiful open planes as far as the eye can see, the dense woodland and the emergence of man within this.
The style must be set beside the works of Martin Parr as any look at tourism seemingly is. I think this is a beautiful capturing of the 'mystique' of the west as Schutmaat puts it and really is a wonderful series.
This first photograph really caught my eye. The use of lighting in this shot is a contrast to the rest of the series. I feel thought the use of a dawn photograph to start the series and a night shot to finish is an interest concept. A representation of time within a series is something I would like to experiment with.
Final shot


First shot




No comments:

Post a Comment