Monday 25 July 2011

The great equipment debate #indie #filmmaking #photography

It has been a big year so far. I have graduated from my Media Studies and Production degree with a first, moved countries and got a job, which I start tomorrow.  One thing I loved about my Uni was the availability of equipment. PD-170's, D300's and sound equipment galore, I used it all and milked the system. I had those cameras all over the place filming on cliff tops, hotel rooms and across the continent. I now regret not taking ever more advantage of them as I now have a problem.

Too far?
You may have noticed an increase in stop motion creation on my behalf. This has been solely down to my equipment. I have a Canon 450d. That is it. I have no way of capturing moving images. This has pushed me to work on various techniques and styles I wouldn't have previously, based upon my lack of equipment. Look at my 15sff entry Duel. I had a number of ideas for the 15 second film festival but made Duel because I did not have the equipment. Most people talk about equipment as thought its the be all and end all, some people get rather angry about it and some companies go a bit too far.(see right)

This of course is about iphoneography which is on the incline. The use of your iphone as a camera. Along with instamatic anyone can take a boring picture put an effect on it and bam retro photography at its modernist. Graham Smith is a great representative of this band. I think he is a talented fella and knows what he is talking about.

"the only camera I own now is my iphone and I edit all my photos onboard this. I can kinda see why people get surprised about this but it is simply because I enjoy it and in my opinion I am now shooting better photos than ever before. Not that it comes down to megapixels…but….the iphone is over double the megapixels of my first DSLR (with photos from this being published in NME, Kerrang, Rock Sound etc). " (link)

I am rather glad of my lack of equipment. I think it has tested me as a creator of all things and pushed me away from short films as such and focused my attention elsewhere. I have done a lot more photography and my animation ability has certainly improved. Until i sort out my equipment issues I shall write. Its still free right?

No comments:

Post a Comment