Wednesday 5 March 2014

Fitting old lenses on your Canon/Nikon DLSR

I often get asked this question, how do I get old pentax or yashica lenses onto a Canon EOS camera? The benefits are aesthetically and financially pleasing so I will share with you how I went about fitting an old lens from a Yashica camera onto my 550d.

20131202-203426.jpg

This lens is a particular favorite. 2.8f and 28mm which on a crop sensor like the 550d is rather close to what the human eye sees so perfect for street photography and also a great filming camera.

Where do I pick up an old lens? 

Head to charity shops, auctions, car boot sales, gumtree and of course ebay. What you are looking for is good clean optics with no dust or damage. If a lens is on a Yashica camera such as the FX 3 then that is perfect. It may well have never been taken off and you know if it fits onto a Yashica then you can make it work. The ultimate find would be an photographers bag with multiple lenses. Here is a link to the exact same lens as I have on my 550d above

Ok, so I have my old lens how do I put it onto my canon / nikon DLSR?

The old lens is designed to fit a Yashica camera, not your new DSLR. What you need now is an adaptor, just a simple metal plate that takes Yashica/contax lenses on one side and then on the other is designed to fit onto a nikon / canon DSLR. These can be snapped on ebay for about £5. Here is a link to one for Canon 550d, it is the same one I use. Nikon adaptors are a bit more complicated seemingly and come in at around £10, link here

[caption id="attachment_3264" align="alignnone" width="1024"]20140102-184356.jpg Soligor lens with a few adaptors[/caption]

 

How to fit your old lens, adaptor and DSLR together

Now you have a lens, you put the adaptor onto the end as you would when attaching your DSLR, now you then put the lens with the adaptor on into your DLSR. That is it. Nice and simple and you are good go. There are various issues such as no AF with these adaptors and some under exposure issues but for about £20-30 you can get a great lens that is a low F stop and will give you hours of fun.

Any questions post a comment.

No comments:

Post a Comment