Saturday 4 August 2012

One year as a runner at the BBC

Well today marks a year that I have been working as a production runner at the beeb. A lot has happened so I felt it deserves a blog post.

In this time I have been to every country in the UK, been further North than I have ever been before, worked with some incredible people and been seen by a few million people in a few tv appearances.
3rd AD - A Relative End - Short Film 
It has really been an amazing opportunity.

I came in to the runners pool as a recent graduate with a bit of experience from indies and BBC NI. It was a tough process, a number of group and single interviews and a few hundred applicants.

I made my way working hard, asking questions and absorbing as much as I could, from some very experienced crew and production staff. It is a case that you are only as good as your last job and that is what you have to remember and give 100%. It is also often a rather tedious job, looking after crew and talent but you have to do it and do it with a smile. People appreciate that and remember you.

I would not have wanted to spend my first year after graduating with a media studies and production degree in any other way. I love working in production. Everything from Cbeebies right through to factual it has been great. I have learnt so much that a degree could never teach but the work experience I achieve via my degree I am sure was essential to this job.
Well that is one year down here is to perhaps a few more, but will have to wait and see what this next year has in store.


N.B This has turned into some sort of runner advice post. If you are a runner or hoping to become one and want advice leave a comment.

5 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary, Guy. I had a hunch you'd do alright. Bright , focused and a bit of a pain in the arse... but in a good away. Keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guy just enjoyed this after stumbling across it! Was wondering if you could give me some advice....I've just graduated and am passionate about getting into production. The problem? My degree was in politics an I have little experience! (what can I say besides I thought I knew it all when I left school)! So my conundrum is do I continue to try and get runner positions or do a masters in production and study for another year? Hoping you can give me some insight as you've studied and also done a year in industry (which by the sounds of things has been one hell of a year)!

    Let me know what you think
    Loren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Loren,
      I would say experience as a runner with a great reference out weighs a media specific degree. I know lots of producers and researchers with science and arts degrees. It just lines you up for future work, media and politics can go hand in hand.
      Try places like http://www.theunitlist.com/ for entry level work and try the big broadcasters for their runner pools.
      Regards
      Guy

      Delete

  3. Hey! I am currently in my first year on University! But I am really interested in TV production and I really love BBC. I have some experience and currently doing some things now. But I really want to try to get some BBC work experience. I have applied about three times now and have been rejected! I know to keep applying, but it’s hard to know how to make it stand out more when you don't received feedback! Do you have any advice on this!

    Also congrats and everything! Would love to be part of the BBC one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Anon,
      Thats a hard one. I am not really in a position to say what works but showing eagerness, passion and commitment are things that I have always done. As you said its keep trying, as long as your CV of experience is constantly being kept up to date and use your Uni years as a chance to get as much experience as you can. I know that this was so valuable to me.
      Hope you enjoy Uni and all the best with the other work and the BBC.
      Guy

      Delete