Monday 27 February 2012

The Shore wins an Oscar.....and then what?

http://theshorefilm.com/
Now if you know anything about my blog you will be aware of my distate for films about the "troubles". I have a wide brush and I paint with my eyes closed at times. I thought Elephant was superb and was a truly gripping representation of the mindless violence that ripped the country apart. I do however find most other "trouble" films to be boring and the same old, dragging us back, nearly glamourising the troubles.
I was delighted to read a few months ago about The Shore being nominated for an Oscar in the live action short film section.
Was even more delighted to see that this morning it won. Not because I think that the Oscars mean anything, look at the directors who missed out in the past. It is because I think that The Shore is possibly the start of things to come. As Terry George put it "This is about reconciliation in Northern Ireland, it is really close to my heart."
It is also great to see that this is something that is being supported with awards and is maybe a chance for Northern Ireland to start to move on artistically. There has been terrible, shocking and disgusting things done in this country and nobody will forget or let that disappear. But do we really need to see it recreated and brought up again? We are a small but creative country taking things onto the world stage. Lets make these things represent Northern Ireland's beauty in the landscape and people.
Finally a massive congrats to all involved and to Terry George on getting an Oscar third time around. Check out an interesting interview with Terry below.


No comments:

Post a Comment