Friday 8 July 2011

The Tron's (1982) (2010) - A view

Rather a while ago I re-watched a classic, the film that influenced the game, that influenced the film, that influenced the brand. Tron.
I do love a bit of dogy computer graphics but still pretty mind blowing for its time with the moral plot of good verses all things big corporate and evil.
I then decided to take it upon myself to watch the new Tron, Tron Legacy.
This is devoid of any plot, any decent character background or really anything of substance but who cares have you seen the grid scenes and heard the daft punk sound track? I would review these films in some depth but for some reason there was a question picking at me.



Would Hitchcock use daft punk? I know pretty ropey thought process going on there but that's what I came away with after watching Tron Legacy. I know that Hitchcock (auld Al as I call him) was at the forefront of using design and of course beautiful music to perfect effect. Just look at his use of Saul Bass in Vertigo. You may even remember a post a while back I did on Saul Bass Influenced tron posters so perhaps there is a tangible link between Tron, Hitchcock and Daft Punk.
I would love to see Hitchcock given the technology of today, we can only think what he may have been able to achieve with green screens and bands who dress like robots.
Perhaps however he would have snubbed the new technologies and stuck to traditional forms of special effects but I cannot feel that psycho could have been the only acceptable use of 3D in a film ever.






I think that I could watch Tron Legacy blindfolded and still enjoy it solely based upon the non-diegetic sound. Did this lead to perhaps Daft Punk taking away from the  film or was it a case that Tron Legacy was a beautiful visual and audio delight with about as much depth as candy floss. I feel I am siding with the later as it would be hard to take away with something so dangerously lacking in any form of substance. I am of course an old school Tron fan and my wrists have been bleeding tonight from playing Tron on my phone but I really think that Tron Legacy delivers. It is a true visual treat and had they just remade Tron it would have got put down even more so.
Here is hoping they come up with a brand new concept for the sequel that we just know is......








Coming fall......

the legacy continues....

and continues.....

and continues.


5/5 for original trontasticness and a solid 2/5 for that long Daft Punk music video that had some Tron scenes in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment