Tuesday 30 October 2007

Jinja trip

Uganda, Jinja, Gap, Year, Blog, Africa, Gandhi, nile, rafting, Kampala,This is me and Rashed at Gandhi's monument
This is me at the source of the nile(titanic style)
The stadium(they show premiership games on the big screen inside and people go to watch)
Me at falls
Tom our driver and i
The rapids
Intense moment
Anwer and I
We did look fetching in our life jackets and i took the opertunity to run baywatch style
Dust gets everywhere and in my eyes

Well on Friday as I was sitting in my office my Indian podrey Anwer pops in and says “Sunday,10:30,Jinja,?” I reply with the obvious “Yes” and that’s it sorted, my first trip to Jinja. I worked over the weekend on my film until Saturday night when suspecting a busy trip I get an early night and head to bed about 10ish. I am woken at 11:30ish and I answer my phone but it still says answer what is going on indeed! Soon I hear a small indian voice spluring out words I cant quite understand and I realise its anwer not answer, he asked me to meet him in GardenCity I declined the offer and that we were now meeting at 9.30.
I awoke at about 7.45 to my by now becoming annoying alarm on my phone. I was up and ready within 15mins leaving me a ridulous wait…I had the last of my honey loops with plenty of milk and about 3/4 of a glass of apple juice but I shant bore you with the small details.
Mytatu into town 700shs
Breakfast and drinks from shoprite 4600shs
BodaBoda to microcare 3000shs
Knowing everybody is ripping you off because your white….Priceless
Well I arrive at microcare at about 9.25 and we get ready to flow. Its just Tom, anwer and i at the moment. We head to the hotel where rashed is staying. Its some big fancy place so me and anwer stroll in and its full of indians because of aga khan or something I cant make out anwer to well at the best of times let alone when he is whispering. We head up to the buisness level the very top and its all very marble and fancy and for $75 a night its rather cheap!! He is having breakfast still so we head off to anwers apartement.
Anwer lives in a tower block pretty much in the middle of kampala. It’s a very asian area but its quite nice, we get his stuff and head back to the hotel and we pick up rashed(I may spell is a multitude of different ways due to the fact I do not have a clue how to spell it)
We head off to jinja and straight away into trafic but Tom soon gets us around it and were off, the road there is fine and rather smooth with just a few strange holes and when I say holes I mean pits, like 10X10metre holes just waiting for the queen but that’s a different story. We make our way through the dust and the first thing of interest has to be the national stadium its massive and totally out of nowhere
We soon arrive at Bujagali Falls(click on the name to see pics) and it is very impressive, the amount of water gushing through is immense and you can see how it gets to the med from there. We took a boat ride around the different falls and saw a lot of birds and village people. It was all very pleasant compared to the rampaging waters all around. We got back and watched this strange one legged man dance up a pole….indeed
We then headed into Jinja town for some lunch. After filling up we headed to the source of the nile river. It is above the rapids. We took few photos there and then took a boat trip across to the Kingfisher Click here if your interested in seeing it.
We stayed there for a while swimming and relaxing with about 100 indians so about one family, they have just completely taken the whole hotel over there was only two people not including me who wernt indian, very strange.
We headed back to the source on our boat and saw a massive monitor lizard sun bathing. When we got back we saw Gandhi’s statue and plaque as some of his ashes were scaterd at the source of the nile due to him liking water I think.
We soon left and were on our way home, we hit the kampala traffic 20km away from kampala!! That’s how bad it is here, everybody goes home to their villages at the weekend and then all want to get back in for work on Monday. Luckily for us Tom had a special thing called no patience which means he just overtook the traffic and we got to kampala pretty quckly. We saw a number of intersting factories such as the Nile special brewery which creates one of the many disgusting beers that Ugandans like to get drunk on. We were dropping off rashid and there was a very nice white range rover but no cigar as it wasn’t a sport then I got a lot of shouting and swining of hands from anwer as he said something about Aga Khan which as far as im aware muslims don’t really like so we meeped the horn a lot of him to move and he did after a while and so we drove after them under instructions from anwer, im doubt it immensly that it was the actual aga khan but had something to do with it anyway. I then was left home and that was the height of my excitement for that day.

3 comments: